At the outset it must be acknowledged that not all school librarians hold a professional qualification. Some school librarians are also teachers. Others have become school librarians through experience and their love of reading.
Full time courses
University College Dublin
The majority of school librarians in Ireland will have qualified at the UCD School of Information & Library Studies. There is a one year postgraduate course entitled Graduate Diploma in Library and Information Studies. In addition, there is a one year masters degree course entitled Master of Library and Information Studies.
There is also an undergraduate degree programme which runs on a modular basis.
Dublin Business School (DBS)
Part time courses
University of Ulster
There is a one-year, part-time course Postgraduate Certificate in Library and Information Management.
University of Wales, Aberystwyth
This university offers a few possibilities. The Department of Information Studies offers a number of undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen
This university offers online courses including the MSc in Information and Library Studies. It has post-graduate Diploma and Masters courses with the added benefit of having a work experience placement on the full-time course.
Other useful links for pursuing your career as a School Librarian.
- QualifaX : The National Courses Database is the organisation responsible for managing applications to higher education courses in Ireland.
- UCAS is the organisation responsible for managing applications to higher education courses in the UK.
- Library.ie publishes news and information about libraries in Ireland. School Librarian vacancies are often published here.
- Graduate Careers Ireland (GCI) is the professional association for careers services in higher education in Ireland, north and south.
- The Library Association of Ireland is the professional body representing libraries and librarianship in Ireland.
- The Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals is the professional body for librarians, information specialists and knowledge managers in the UK.
If you would like to add any useful information or comments to this page, please contact email@example.com.